2007-06-09

Life in the Garden Part 04: Dracaena Trunk

Dracaena Tree



My tree is about 8 feet tall now. It's the oldest houseplant in my increasingly green apartment.

I got it in 1994. My friend Trina was frantically moving out of the dorm. Or rather, her assorted relatives were busy hauling stuff down several floors into various vehicles. Trina handed me King Pelanor in between rushing relatives. King Pelanor was the only plant to from that dorm room to survive the next year.

King Pelanor was just 2.5 feet tall then. The past few years have been good to him. He's even bloomed 3 or 4 times in the past 3 years, which is pretty amazing since Dracaenas have a reputation for never blooming indoors.


Dracaena

But now, King Pelanor is getting a bit tall so I have to consider a few options. I'm trying to figure out how to take a cutting or propagate the tree, but I'm not sure how to do that without risking its health.

It's also starting to split at the trunk. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. The tree seems healthy. The leaves are strong and it's still getting taller. So this might be just normal growth at this point in King Pelanor's life.

Any suggestions?



Dracaena Split Trunk
Dracaena Split Trunk
Dracaena Split Trunk
Dracaena Split Trunk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have one of these plants and until I saw this blog entry, I had no idea what it was called. So thanks to you, I now know it's a dracaena. I didn't even know it could bloom. I don't have good advice for you, though. A new branch sprouted off the main trunk. After this new branch grew leaves, the entire original trunk died. Only this baby plant is keeping the whole thing alive. We thought about splitting it and propagating it, but we were afraid of killing it. I'm glad we didn't because it's now half dead anyway. We have no idea what to do with it.