2009-11-18

Geek Culture Part 01: w00tstock poster

Seeing the various Geek Culture posts I've done over the past year, it's time it gets its own title category.

This weekend, I finally got around to hanging my w00tstock poster.  I picked it up at this show in San Francisco last month.  After a nearly 3.5+ hour show, the performers stayed around so everyone who wanted to could meet and chat with them.  My poster has autographs from:


So it's a great keepsake from the event.

Despite meeting with hundreds of fans, everyone was genuinely nice and friendly.  They all still had the energy to talk to people.

I made a point of mentioning to Molly how much I enjoyed "Our American Cousin," her song about the Lincoln assassination.  She said that even though you're not supposed to pick your favorite child, it's probably her favorite too.

I chatted with Adam Savage about how much I enjoyed Mythbusters and appreciated the way they constantly illustrated the whole control/experiment structure. He said they weren't actually trying to do that.  All they wanted to do was tell good stories. Adam was all about telling stories, and that was really interesting.  If it wasn't for the press of the line behind me, I think I could have gone on chatting with Adam quite a while without crossing over into annoying fan.  He really seemed to enjoy talking with everyone who came up to him.

So there was plenty of awesomeness all around.  While my Paul and Storm, Kid Beyond, and Wil Wheaton anecdotes aren't quite as interesting to tell, they were also great with the fans.

So I framed the poster, which was the point of this post.  And now it's hanging on my wall.  I picked up a "cheap" discontinued frame at Aaron Brothers, and paid $25 for it.

What's with the framing consortium?!  I know custom framing is expensive (hundreds of dollars for a decent size puzzle), and I'm sure that stuff requires great skill.  I'm not saying it's not worth it, or that it's easy (I spent many hours making frames for puzzles and Special Olympics medals as a child). At that same time though, it's crazy.

My poster cost $5 and the autographs cost some Sharpie ink.  Okay, the autographs now make it awesome and priceless, but still.

It just seems wrong to spend 5 times as much on the accessory for something as I do on the thing itself.  What is this? Printer ink?


***Update: for thoughts on w00tstock 2.0 in Seattle, and videos from the show, please see this post.***

1 comment:

Tina Kubala said...

Color me jealous. No joke, as I type this, I'm listening to Wil's Memories of the Futurecast.