2006-04-03

A Wall of Books: Part 02

Most of my friends know that I'm a book junkie. Actually, most of my friends are book junkies as well. Many of them appreciate passing hours in a Barnes and Noble, Elliott Bay Books, or Powell's City of Books. So this may come as no surprise.

I got a new toy on Friday. It's a barcode scanner, and software from Collectorz for cataloguing books, CDs and DVDs. I picked it up because occasionally, I've seen something interesting on Amazon, and wondered if I already had it. I had no quick way of checking my library. Now I do.

Of course, I also wanted it because I like categorizing things. It's just comforting that I can put some order into a chaotic world by organizing my books. I suppose it's part of my on-going battle with Entropy. No fundamental, universal principle is going to tell me what to do.

Plus, it's at the convergence of technology and books. How could I resist?

I spent a few hours scanning one double-stacked shelf in one book case tonight. It worked fairly well. It would have gone faster but I was watching Law and Order at the time.

In that one shelf, I had 70 books. At this rate, I estimate my collection will top out at 500-600 books in my apartment.

About 80% of them scanned easily. They had an ISBN barcode on the back. Some of them had a UPC instead, which meant I had to do a manual entry. Some of my older books (from the 80s) had the ISBN on the inside cover instead. A few others had no barcode, and I had to look up the ISBN in the copyright page. So far, I've only found one that didn't have an ISBN, and that was a Scribner Library edition of the The Great Gatsby, from 1953.

So far, I'm impressed with the software and hardware combination. The next step will be to finally organize the shelves.

No comments: