2007-03-03

New Orleans Dining 04: Cafe Du Monde

Cafe Au Lait and Beignats at Cafe Du Monde
After dinner at LA Bayou, I headed to the legendar Cafe Dumonde for dessert.

Cafe DuMonde is a legendary New Orleans tradition. The original location in the French Market opened in 1862 and now is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The menu is simple, featuring little beyond coffe and beignets. Beignets are light, fluffy pastries that are deep fried. Then, because that's just too healthy, they cover them in a couple inches of powdered sugar.

I stopped by the outdoor cafe at about 11:00 PM and it was still hoppin'. I ordered a Cafe Au Lait (chicory coffee with milk) and, of course, Beignets. For $6, including tip, I had a great late night snack. I sat there reading my book and taking in the atmosphere in the moist, warm air of a February New Orleans night.


I enjoyed the coffee (I know, you're shocked) but wasn't blown away by it. It's still a great pairing with the pastries. The sugar covered Beignets are a must have. They were fluffy and just slightly gooey inside. With the soft and crisp fried skin, I knew the AMA must be telling people, "DO NOT EAT" but I don't care. When you go to New Orleans, you have to fnd time for the Beignets.


No comments: