2018-02-16

Episode 001 -- My Stroke Story and Goals


Welcome to Strokecast. Thanks for listening, and I'm thrilled to take you along with me on this journey.

My Story

I am a Generation X stroke survivor learning how to use my left hand and leg again. You can learn more about my background here.

I had my stroke on June 3, 2017. I woke up in the morning and my left arm didn't. A few minutes later, my leg began going offline. After a short ambulance ride, I began a month-long stay at Swedish Cherry Hill in Seattle, WA. I can't say enough good things about the OT, PT, and the nursing team. The kitchen team could d a better job removing bay leaves from various dishes, but I am very happy with the care I received there as inpatient, and that I continue to receive on an outpatient basis.

I have several goals with this podcast and will probably add more as time goes on. I want to:

  • Share my story
  • Give other folks a chance to share their stories
  • Explore books
  • Explore neuroplasticity
  • Explore brain discoveries
  • Explore Research
  • Share tips/hacks
  • Provide resources
  • Expand the support community by sharing more

I also want to talk with OTs, PTs, Speech Therapists, Recreational Therapists, Rehab nursing Teams, Doctors, and others in the stroke recovery and prevention industry.

And, of course, the people most important to stroke survivors -- the primary care givers whose lives were turned upside down when the survivors had their clots or bleeds. If you're a caregiver, what's your story?

Hack of the Week: One-Handed Banana Peeling

There are 2 methods.

The first is to hold it gently in your fist with the inside curve facing you. Then, push back on the stem with your thumb. Either the stem will tear and you can peel it traditionally, or the skin on the far side will split, and you can split it further with your index finger.

The other method is great if you have a knife. Cut it in half across the middle. Then you can work your finger in between the fruit and the peel at the cut and the pull the peel back.

Call to Action

  • Are you a stroke survivor, caregiver, medical industry professional, or someone else with a stroke related story to share? I want to hear from you. Email me at bill@strokecast.com or reach out to me on Twitter where I am @CurrentlyBill
  • What are your thoughts on this episode? Tell us in the comments below.
  • Don't get best…get better

Here is the latest episode of The Strokecast

No comments: