2006-12-06

Paperless -- From the Archives

I found this on my hard drive tonight, and, while a bit dated,it still makes me smile. This is the short version. I'll post the long version another time.

Ten years ago, you might have found this document at www.cyberhighway.net/~cromely. That was the personal web page I had back in 1996, when those things were all the rage.


A Call To Arms





For years, pundits talked about the paperless office and how great it will be. Do you remember "Paper free by 83?" Neither do I, but it would have been a cool slogan.

Access toinformation in the paperless office and society would be easy and universal. Paper would gradually disappear on its own as the world gleefully embraced the digital age. Those pundits were wonderfully positive.




They were fools.



The early proponents of the paperless environment were just that - proponents. What my paperless crusade calls for is zealots.




We must be virulently anti-paper. It is time to attack paper with anger - hatred - even violence. Shredders must replace store rooms. Data files must replace file cabinets. Email must replace snail mail. When a single CD can replace an entire filing cabinet, it makes no sense to adhere to paper.



  • Paper is bulky.
  • Paper is heavy.
  • Paper is difficult to back up.
  • Paper fades.
  • Paper cuts.
  • Paper clutters.
  • Paper tears.
  • Paper gets lost in the mail.


Today we have the tools to fight the abomination of the printed page. Join me today. Star expunging paper from you life today.

No comments: