2007-02-18

Gung Hay Fat Choy



Today is the first day of the Year of the Pig. Or the Boar. This is my year.

The Year of the Pig is the last year in the Chinese Zodiac 12 year cycle. Which is interesting because I am also an Aries, which is often considered the first sign of the Western Zodiac.

I was born in 1971, so this will be my 4th Year of the Pig. Traditionally, each time your year rolls around is supposed to be a lucky year. I'm hoping for plenty of good fortune. How does the track record look?

1971 seems to have been a good year for me. It wasn't a bad way to start. Apparently I spent a few days under liver lights and ended up with a small scar on my foot from a clumsily executed medical test. But I don't recall much of the year.

1983 would have been the end of 6th grade and the beginning of 7th grade. Not a bad year as grade school went. We had a week long class trip to Nature's Classroom, which was the highlight of sixth grade. It's also where I first encountered Cat Stevens' music. And I had my first crush since third grade. I'm going to have to drill into my archives for more information about the year.

1995 was a pretty good year. I got my first modern computer, left Helena (1994 probably wasn't one of my better years), moved to Boise, spent 6 months unemployed, and got into computer sales. 1995 was the year that my post-college life really got started.

So now I'm looking forward to another good Year of the Pig. By the end of the year, I expect to be bringing home a lot of bacon. And I hopefully, I won't end up covered in mud instead.

Wikipedia has more information about the Year of the Pig:

According to customary superstition, the Pig type is usually an honest, straightforward and patient person. They are a modest, shy character who prefers to work quietly behind the scenes. When others despair, they are often there to offer support. This type of person is reserved with those they do not know too well, but as time passes and they gain confidence, those around them may discover a lively and warm-hearted person behind that mask of aloofness. Despite those born in the year of pig having a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, they have few close friends who understand them and share their inner thoughts and feelings. It is easy to put trust in pig type; they won't let you down and will never even attempt to do so. Such people simply want to do everything right according to social norms.

Also according to customary superstition, that these people are not vengeful creatures. If someone tries to take advantage of them, the pig type tend to withdraw to reflect on the problem and protect themselves. All they need in such situations is a little time to find a constructive way to respond. The people of the pig type are conservative creatures of habit. They dislike being made to travel too far from familiar surroundings, unless it is a trip to the countryside. They love nature and are never happier than when they are out somewhere, far from the city.

There is a tolerant and peaceful side to the character of Pig types. Such people are never afraid to allow others their freedom of expression; they do not want to cause arguments and if there is any way to avoid arguing, they will probably take this option. They are not weak, however, and if the situation forces them to fight these people will rise to the occasion, whether it is to defend themselves or those close to them. People of the Boar type are the most admired by others.

1 comment:

Jon Clarke said...

You and Fetuso share a year.

Congratulations Fake Uncle Bill.