2009-11-03

Five things I don't like about the Wii Fit Plus

Wii Fit Plus is a great game/exercise program.  I've stuck with it for a month, and look forward to using it.  But it's not perfect.  Yesterday, I talked about Five things I like about the Wii Fit Plus.  Now it's time for the things I don't like.

1) Routine limits

It's great that the Plus let's you build your own routine from various strength training and yoga exercises, but that's all it let's you choose.  You can't add aerobic activities or balance games to your custom routines.  The system has some predefined routines with those features, so it doesn't make sense that you can't add your own.  I'd like to build my own one hour routine that starts with some balance games, adds yoga poses, moves on to strength training, goes into aerobics and then let's me close out with more balance games.

2) No routine scoring

When you run a routine that you build it moves from completion of one exercise to the start of the next.  The great thing is that it skips all the menu choosing.  That bad thing is that it also skips the scoring step.  It doesn't tell you how well you did or give you points at the end of the activity.  Seems silly, I know, but I want that feedback. 

3) No new slalom game. 

The slalom is my favorite balance game, but it's getting old.  I would have like it if the Plus included a new, longer version of that game.

4) The Balance Board is a little too small.

While it still works fine, it appears to be designed for those that do not wear a size 12 shoe (not that I'm wearing shoes on the board).  My feet extend beyond the preferred placement rectangles and sometimes my toes or heals are hanging off the edge.  It's needs to be about and inch or two bigger.

5) The dodge in the boxing game is too vague.

I can't seem to get this move right.  The graphic describing how to move the Wiimote and Nunchuck is confusing, and after a month of trial and error, I can't quite get this move right.  And I don't really know what I'm doing wrong.

So there are definitely some areas for improvement.  Despite that, I can easily recommend it.  It's a lot of fun, and it gets me moving.  And those are two very good things.

No comments: