2011-04-08

Libyan economy Versus Egyptian economy

Since I've been exercising more lately, I have more chance to listen to my podcasts, even if some of them are a month or more older by now.

Planet Money, from NPR, is one of my favorites. Perhaps the most educational one I caught recently looked at the public uprising in Egypt versus the one in Libya.  Why did the Egyptian army stay out of it, while the Libyan army opened fire?  Because the Egyptian army needs the people; the Libyan army does not.

The cast is an excellent introduction to the concept of a Rentier State and a the resource curse that can plague a third world nation.

The cast is from before the US and NATO go involved in the conflict, but that action has not impacted the relevance of the cast.  It's well worth the 20 minutes.  You can catch it here.

No comments: