2019-09-09

Ep 085 -- Vision and Stroke with Dr. Eugene May


Vision happens where the brain meets the eyes. A stroke in a particular location can break that system. Even though the eyes may work perfectly, a survivor may not be able to see. Neuro-Ophthalmologists like Dr. Eugene May navigate this world and not only treat folks with neurological conditions but often discover neurological causes to mysterious vision ailments.

Bio

Dr. Eugene May HeadshotDr. May was born in New Orleans and completed his undergrad work at Tulane University. He later graduated from the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine and completed his post graduate training at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Since 1992, he's treated patients in Western Washington at Madigan Army Medical Center, The Polyclinic, Neuro-Opthalmic Consultants Northwest, and Swedish Medical System, where he currently practices.

He describes his Philosophy of Care as:

Neuro-ophthalmology is the field of medicine that bridges neurology and ophthalmology. I see patients whose visual symptoms are or may be due to neurologic problems. Many patients with multiple sclerosis have vision problems, so a big part of my practice is dedicated to helping them understand what is causing their vision problem and what can be done to address it. I also have a special interest in diagnosis and treatment of neurologic vestibular disorders. Patients with neurologic vestibular disorders have vertigo, dizziness and imbalance. They frequently have seen multiple providers before coming to me for an explanation of their symptoms. My goal is to diagnose and treat the condition so people feel and function better.

Hack of the week

Sometimes it's difficult to plug things into my computer or TV, or it's tough to find my glasses when they fall under the bed.

The camera on my phone makes it much easier, especially now that my balance and dexterity challenges make it more difficult to get my head into such spaces.

I reach around to take a picture of the awkward area. Then I have a better idea of where to reach my hand when I can't quite see.

Links

Where do go from here?


Here is the latest episode of The Strokecast

No comments: