2008-06-25

PT Cruiser

I don't like it.

The PT Cruiser came out 5 to 10 years ago when the retro look in cars was all the rage. it was designed to look like the wagons of the thirties and forties. Many people hated the look, but I thought it was cool. For some reason I've always been partial to the boxy look in a car. I hoped that at some point I would get to drive one.

Today, I got my wish. My rental car on the current business trip is a PT Cruiser. And it drives terribly.

The acceleration doesn't feel quite right. More importantly, the steering on this car is terrible. The thing cannot make a tight turn. I think the Ford Explorer makes tighter turns than the PT Cruiser. I'm amazed at how much pavement it takes this car to simply go left.

There are very few cars I actually dislike on the rental aisle. They include the Ford Taurus, the Kia Optima, and now the PT Cruiser.

It looks cool, but simply doesn't drive well, which defeats the purpose of having it.

Next time, just give me the Hyundai.

6 comments:

Book Calendar said...

But, it looks cool. I have a 2002 Impala and I like the way it drives. I wonder what the 2008 Impala is like.

Jon Clarke said...

I hate the interior of the PT Cruiser. The dash is far away from you, flat and shallow.

Heather said...

thanks for the mini review :) I've always wondered how those were to drive....now I know !

Ellen said...

I recently rented one when I had a car accident and I loved it. I had no problems with it except it was a 4 cylinder and my Nissan Maxima is a 6 cylinder. It just didn't the "get up and go" like my Maxima. I thought it was really cute and it was lots of fun to drive. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Julie said...

Well my dad always wanted one of these. I heard the PT cruiser was just a dodge neon in disguise? Nice to know!

Anonymous said...

Haha, no way. The PT Cruiser is a terrible looking hunk of metal. I would put it right up there with the Hummer 2.

Cromley I would have to agree with you that PT Cruiser is no bueno...