2009-05-24

Have you played Atari today?

This is really why YouTube was invented -- so we can relive awesome commercials from our youth.




I vaguely remember the ad. What really sticks in my head from the early 80s is the jingle -- "Have you played Atari today?"

I was an avid reader of the Atari Age magazine back in the day, on those sporadic occasions when they actually published it. One month they wrote ad article about how the company was originally going to be call Syzygy, but fortunately they opted for Atari instead. The pointed out that "Have you played Syzygy today?" didn't have quite the same ring to it.

It's probably also fortunate because of the planetary alignment -- syzygy -- in 1982. I seem to recall the crack pots of the day predicting the destruction of the world due to out of control tidal movements resulting from the crazy gravity.

Ah, well. I'm off to find my Buckner and Garcia tape.

4 comments:

MamaFlo said...

I still have my son's atari and about 70+ game tapes. He wanted to take it all home but his wife said NO MORE JUNK.
I'll keep it around until they move into a larger abode and then maybe he can sneak it in :)

Frankie said...

Those were the good old days!

Anonymous said...

I miss my Atari 16K and Commodore 64

Cromely said...

@MamaFlo: You should break them out and start playing.

@Frankie: They took many of my hours

@dadsi-mamsi: I mis mine as well. The C64 was an awesome box.