The details of staking, however, are details I have to relearn.
One of the staking mistakes I made was using twine and tying the plants too tightly to support.
The plant did not have quite enough slack to grow within the loop, so it started to grow around it and absorb the twine into the stem. It's kind of neat to see the flexibility of nature to adapt to this, but it does put the plant at risk. It makes a weak point where the plant stem could split, and I would lose all the fruit above the knot.
So I cut is loose. The twine is still in the stem, and I'm not about to pull it out. But at least it shouldn't put any more stress on it.
To prevent this from happening again, I switched to velcro strips. They are cheap and available in many garden centers. You can get them in rolls 10' long.
Here's how I now tie my plants.
The velcro is softer, and since it's wider, it spreads the support across more of the stem. Plus, if the plant gets too big, the velcro is flexible enough to accommodate the healthy stem.
It's like a comfort flex waist band for the plants.