2009-08-12

Life in the Garden Part 30: Lunch

Tuesday I committed heresy and skipped the microwave for lunch. Instead, I raided the garden.

I picked a few tomatoes and basil leaves.

I then combined that with some Pesto the GF made last week from a bag full of the Basil I grew, added mozzarella balls from Costco, put is all on a Hoagie roll and had some great sandwiches that started falling apart as soon as I picked them up.


But I still had more tomato slices. So I dropped them in a bowl, added some more mozzarella, some basil, splashed on some Balsamic, and had a great little salad.


This is why I go through the hassles of gardening. So I can go out to my deck and grab some food that I grew from a tiny seed.

8 comments:

Garden Gnome Wanderings said...

Those are lovely looking tomatoes! What is the variety?

Tina said...

YUMMO!

Rob said...

Looks like a very tasty lunch. Only variation I would have made would be to use a whole wheat sourdough, over a sandwhich roll.

The GF said...

Yay!!

brokenteepee said...

My favorite combination!

Our tomatoes are still green. Although 8 cauliflowers came in last night.

Jan from BetterSpines said...

Home grown tomatoes and home-made pesto? Oh man, you are in heaven. Enjoy!

Theresa said...

At least I know where to go when I can't find anything to eat for lunch now. That looks yummy!

Cromely said...

@Garden Gnome Wanderings: They are Oregon Siletz and Stupice. I'm not sure which is which, and the both came in at about the same time. I planted Romas too, but they're about another 1-2 weeks away. They're pretty orange at the moment.

All of them are from seed.

@Daisy and @Tina:It was. Turned out very well.

@Rob: That would be a good idea. The existing bread was a little too soft to hold it together. I'll have to try that next time.As it was, it was dleicious, but a little sloppy.

@The GF: It worked out well.

@Pricilla:I haven't tried cauliflower. It's one of those vegetables I haven't been much a dan of. My Siltez and Stupice came in tasty and red, but small. Romas are still orange or green, though.

@Jan: Pesto is just a magical substance, and The GF adds plenty of garlic and parmesian regiano to make it even better.

@Theresa: It's nice to have snacks being produced in the back yard.