2007-05-17

Tech Product I Want

I want goggles.

Or glasses. They can wrap around my head, or be like traditional glasses. Perhaps it's a monocle. Or perhaps it's just a small projector that uses my retina as a screen.

I can plug this device into my computer. I will get a minimum resolution of 2048 X 1536. And it will look like I'm standing in front of a 72" display.

It will be comfortable for hours of use. They will have their own power source -- probably a AAA battery or two. It should get a minimum of 10 hours on a single charge. And maybe it should also have the option of AC power.

I want this for several reasons.

First, I want to use it on an airplane.

Using it to work on the plane will help with security. I can use these goggles to see my data, and no one else can look over my shoulder at sensitive information.

It will also be easier to work with data. I won't be straining my eyes to see small text. With that virtual 72" display, I can see a lot more at once than I can on my smaller 12.1" display. It will make work easier and less tiring.

It will also mean I can work longer. I can turn off the display on my notebook. The screen on a notebook typically draws much of the battery power. Since I am using the goggles rather than the screen, the battery will last longer.

I also want to use them to watch TV or movies on the plane. Some material on TV may not be appropriate for viewing in an airplane. CSI, for example, can get pretty graphic. Those who are squeamish may not be able to handle the gore. When I wear the goggles, I won't have to worry about what the person sitting next might see when they glance over at my screen.

I will also get lost in my programs more easily. Sitting in coach can be uncomfortable and annoying. I prefer to disappear into a great TV program on my notebook. The goggles will make it easier to shut out the rest of the world.

Of course the plane is just the beginning.

The goggles would also be great in a hotel room. The sheer size of the virtual workspace means I don't have to worry about how big my notebook screen is. It would simply make work easier. Multitasking would be easier. Working in big spreadsheets would be easier. Managing email would be easier.

If these products were available, I imaging companies would use them to shrink cubicles. They would need less space for monitors. And workers could be closer together without distracting one another as each got lost in their virtual world.

The benefits are:

  • Better Security
  • Improved Privacy
  • Increased Productivity
  • Longer Work Time
  • A More Pleasant Work Environment
  • A More Pleasant Entertainment Environment

And I'd be willing to pay up to $800.

I think we're a few years off still...

1 comment:

Jon Clarke said...

Would you also have the wiry virtual reality gloves? Cause you couldn't see the keyboard anymore.