2006-06-22

Passive Agressive Seattle at its best

Okay. The grocery cards are annoying - mainly becasue they take up too much space in my wallet. They can just as easily track sales by credit card number.

I had more of a rant here, but it was a little to rant-y and preach-y

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/274870_privacy22.html
As threats to privacy grow, many fight back
Consumers' weapons range from high tech to deception, denial and even pettiness

By VANESSA HO
P-I REPORTER

Brian Nguyen has a GPS tracker on his cell phone in case he needs help, but he lways turns it off. "If I want the government to know where I am, I'll let them know," he says.

When Dave Sampson shops online, he uses a disposable e-mail address he later tosses. "I prefer to have my life remain private, just like everybody else."

Keith Gormezano shows club cards from various grocery stores. By playing his cards right, he stays ahead in the privacy game.

Matthew Lange would rather piggyback on Wi-Fi and use an old cell number from Los Angeles, instead of hooking up with local services. "I really search for nonymity."
Paranoid survivalists, they're not.

Nguyen, an attorney, Sampson, a marketing director, and Lange, a Web designer, are part of a rising tide of average people peeved at the daily intrusions into their private lives.

No comments: